The second edition of FormaliSE was held on Tuesday 3 June 2014 in Hyderabad (India), co-located with ICSE 2014. 32 Participants heard an inspiring keynote by Aditya Nori (Microsoft Research, India), followed by presentations of scientific papers, including discussions. A “round table” session, chaired by Nico Plat and Stefania Gnesi, concluded the workshop.
Eight scientific papers were accepted from 21 submissions that were reviewed by an international programme committee (40% acceptance rate). Each paper was reviewed by 3 PC members and the average rating was high compared to normal standards. Topics ranged from integration aspects of formal methods, to verification and to cyber physical systems.
The proceedings of the workshop were published as part of the ICSE 2014 proceedings. A table of contents including brief abstracts can be found here.
9:00-10:00: Introduction and Keynote
Welcome to FormaliSE 2014 (slides)
Nico Plat and Stefania Gnesi
Software Reliability via Machine Learning (Keynote) (slides)
Aditya V. Nori (Microsoft Research, India)
10:00-10:30: Session 1: "Integration of Formal Methods in Software Engineering"
Formal Specification Comprehension: The Art of Reading and Writing Z (slides)
Andreas Bollin and Dominik Rauner-Reithmayer (University of Klagenfurt, Austria; Carinthia University of Applied Sciences, Austria)
10:30-11:00: Coffee break
11:00-12:30: Session 2: "Integration of Formal Methods in Software Engineering (continued)"
Flexible Modular Formalization of UML Sequence Diagrams (slides)
Luciano Baresi, Mohammad Mehdi Pourhashem Kallehbasti, and Matteo Rossi (Politecnico di Milano, Italy)
Generating Supportive Hypotheses in Introducing Formal Methods using a Software Processes Improvement Model (slides)
Shigeru Kusakabe, Hsin-Hung Lin, Yoichi Omori, and Keijiro Araki (Kyushu University, Japan)
From an Abstract Specification in Event-B toward an UML/OCL Model (slides)
Imen Sayar and Mohamed Tahar Bhiri (University of Sfax, Tunisia; MIRACL, Tunisia)
14:00-15:30: Session 3: "Analysis and Verification"
Using mCRL2 for the Analysis of Software Product Lines (slides)
Maurice H. ter Beek and Erik de Vink (ISTI-CNR, Italy; Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands)
Analysis and Testing of PLEXIL Plans (slides)
Jason Biatek, Michael W. Whalen, Mats P. E. Heimdahl, Sanjai Rayadurgam, and Michael R. Lowry (University of Minnesota, USA; NASA Ames Research Center, USA)
Compiling Polychronous Programs into Conditional Partial Orders for ASIP Synthesis (slides)
Mahesh Nanjundappa and Sandeep K. Shukla (Virginia Tech, USA)
15:30-16:00: Coffee break
16:00-16:30: Session 4: "Cyber Physical Systems"
Formalization of Software Models for Cyber-Physical Systems (slides)
Sandeep Neema, Gabor Simko, Tihamer Levendovszky, Joseph Porter, Akshay Agrawal, and Janos Sztipanovits (Vanderbilt University, USA)
16:30-17:30: Discussion and wrap-up
- Andreas Bollin (Klagenfurt University, Austria)
- Einar Broch Johnsen (Oslo University, Norway)
- Manfred Broy (Technical University München, Germany)
- Ana Cavalcanti (York University, UK)
- Nancy Day (University of Waterloo, Canada)
- Cindy Eisner (IBM Haifa Research Laboratory, Israel)
- Alessandro Fantechi (University of Florence, Italy)
- Jaco Geldenhuys (University of Stellenbosch, South Africa)
- Jan Friso Groote (Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands)
- Arie Gurfinkel (Carnegie Mellon University, USA)
- Mike Hinchey (Lero, Ireland)
- Randolph Johnson (independent consultant, USA)
- Axel van Lamsweerde (University of Louvain. Belgium)
- Peter Gorm Larsen (Aarhus University, Denmark)
- Marc Lawford (MacMaster University, Canada)
- Thierry Lecomte (ClearSy, France)
- Yves Ledru (IMAG, France)
- Axel Legay (INRIA Rennes, France)
- Antónia Lopes (University of Lisbon, Portugal)
- István Majzik (Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Hungary)
- Tiziana Margaria (Potsdam University, Germany)
- Ravidra Metta (Tata Consultancy Services, India)
- Henry Muccini (Universita degli Studi dell’Aquila, Italy)
- Matteo Rossi (Politecnico di Milano, Italy)
- Elena Troubitsyna (Abo University, Finland)
- Sebastián Uchitel (Imperial College and Universidad de Buenos Aires, UK and Argentina)
- Hironori Washizaki (Waseda University, Japan)
- Fatiha Zaïdi (LRI/CNRS, France)
Organizing Committee members and PC Chairs for FormaliSE 2014 were:
Local organization was provided by Ravindra Metta (Tata Consultancy Services, India).